How Does Dieting Affect The Immune And Nervous System?
Many of us diet but few of us know or understand how dieting affects the immune and nervous system. Dieting can affect our immune and nervous systems if poor dieting techniques are used.
The Immune System
The immune system protects our body by fighting off harmful substances such as harmful chemicals, viruses, bacteria, and does a fine job keeping watch against one of the biggest enemies of our bodies—cancer.
Activities That Lower the Immune System
And, we can stress out our bodies by overdoing it in our daily activities, by not eating regular and healthy meals, by dieting too strenuously, by not taking needed vitamins and minerals, by not getting enough sleep or drinking enough water. But, harm can come if we especially stress our bodies with dieting that deletes us of energy and needed vitamins.
Nutrients and Micronutrients
Dieting can affect the immune and nervous system by not eating enough foods that are high in antioxidants, by not getting enough nutrients and micronutrients; nutrients and micronutrients found in such vitamins as: calcium, iron, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Deficiencies in such nutrients can weaken the immune system. So, eating nutritional foods and taking a multivitamin can help keep your immune and nervous system in good shape, even when dieting.
Guidelines for a Healthy Immune System:
1. When cooking, use only olive oil, for it is rich in mono-saturated fats and doesn’t have unhealthy fats in them.
2. Include in your diet more vegetables and fruits. They are healthy, fat-free, low in calories and have many healthy vitamins and minerals in them.
3. Add more fiber to your diet such as cereals and whole wheat bread. They give your body more energy, taste great and also help with your diet.
4. Make sure you drink plenty of water. As we age, our thirst for water diminishes but drinking plenty of water helps with your diet, keeps you regular, helps with digestion and is just a healthy thing to do.
5. Make sure that you get some kind of exercise everyday. Start out small and increase the time each week. Daily exercise can protect and boost the immune system. Studies have been conducted that show that when you exercise on a routine basis, the immune system is enhanced and gives your body better protection from disease and also helps your mental state.
Be aware of the stress in your life and do what you can to keep it as low as possible. This can be achieved by taking time for yourself, talking with a trusted person about what is troubling you, walking or doing something that you enjoy.
Send this page to a friend ...