Does Medicare Pay For In-home Care Or A Caregiver?
Key to understanding what Medicare coverage you may have for in-home care.
If you are receiving Medicare benefits and you are faced with needing in-home care, there are some facts that you should know. By educating yourself on what services may be offered to you, you may be preventing a financial disaster later on.
Medicare Covered Expenses
There are certain home health care expenses that may be covered through the Medicare program. These services include:
Continued short-term skilled care at home following a release from the hospital;
At home care for an illness or injury;
Therapy treatment such as occupational therapy, speech therapy, and physical therapy;
Medical social worker;
Home health aide care;
Injectable drug administration by a home health nurse for women with osteoporosis, who have Medicare Part B, meet the necessary requirements, and are unable to give themselves the drug by injection.
Medicare will only cover services provided by a skilled professional who is employed by a Medicare approved Home Health Care Agency that is state certified.
Medicare Requirements For In Home Care
Patients must meet four requirements in order to receive Medicare Home Health Care Coverage.
These requirements include:
1. A doctor’s recommendation and plan for in home care for the patient;
2. The patient must need reasonable and necessary intermittent care or physical therapy, a continued need for occupation therapy, or speech therapy that is ordered by the doctor and can be provided by a Medicare certified home health agency.
3. The patient must be considered homebound and normally only able to leave home for short, infrequent periods of time.
4. The Home Health Care Agency that is to provide the in home care for the patient must be approved by Medicare.
Contact your local Medicare office to guarantee you are receiving all of the benefits you are entitled to.
- What Is Home Health Care?
- Does Medicare Pay For Assisted Living Or A Nursing Home?
- What Is In Home Care?
- What Should I Consider When Choosing Home Care?
- How Do I Arrange For In Home Care?
Send this page to a friend ...